WorkOutDoors is the only Apple Watch workout app showing fully functional vector maps. It is also the most configurable workout app, with many screen layouts and 300+ metrics. It is the perfect app for any type of outdoor workout: running, hiking, cycling and more.
The maps contain all the information necessary for outdoor workouts, including paths, trails, tracks & pistes. The use of vectors mean they can be smoothly panned with your finger and zoomed with the digital crown. The data is from OpenStreetMap and can be cached on your watch for use when there is no data signal.
The map shows a breadcrumb trail of where you have been, and can rotate according to direction of travel. Two compasses are available: a red one pointing north, and a green one that points to your starting position. You can also import GPX routes and waypoints and display them on the map (including geocaching caches).
Click here for more information on the maps.
WorkOutDoors allows you to configure multiple data screens and to swipe through them during a workout. You can control the layout and font size for each screen as well as the content (pace, heart, elevation etc). You can even customise each individual field from a pool of over 300 metrics, including graphs and buttons.
You can configure interval schedules to follow during a workout. For example Warm Up for 5 minutes, then 3 sets of Run for 1 mile, Recover for 1 minute, and then finishing off with a 5 minute Cool Down.
The app also includes many other advanced workout features, such as:
- manual or automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- lap splits available for all metrics;
- periodic alerts (e.g. every mile, every 1000 steps etc);
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable displayed and spoken metrics for each alert;
- configurable heart rate zones;
- configurable target pace/speed with related metrics;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map;
- 3 configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile);
- configurable shortcut gestures for commonly used operations;
- 26 different activity types;
- many types of graphical metrics;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation;
- workouts saved to Apple's Health system and to the WorkOutDoors iPhone app;
- advanced workout analysis in the WorkOutDoors iPhone app;
- summary information available on the watch at any time during the workout;
- workouts can be exported as TCX or GPX files;
- direct uploading to Strava;
Click here for more information on workouts.